The Director, Paid Media will play a leading role in executing, documenting and innovating the paid marketing strategy for both recruitment and brand marketing efforts initiated on behalf of the Division of University Marketing and Communications, as well as for colleges, schools, and other administrative units. Reporting directly to the AVP, Marketing and Brand Strategy, the Director, Paid Media will oversee the Associate Director, Paid Media, as well as a dedicated Marketing Project Manager. This strategic leadership position will be responsible for managing relationships with the University’s agencies-of-record, leading new strategic partner RFP processes, and liaising with budget and finance personnel to oversee all invoicing and purchase order reconciliation for a high-performing team. In addition, the Director, Paid Media, will play a crucial role in overseeing and reporting on budget for the Office of Marketing Communications.
They will work both independently and cross-functionally with the graduate strategy, market research/analytics, marketing technology, digital strategy, brand/governance, creative, university engagement, invoicing/accounting, and undergraduate strategy sub-functions within the Office of Marketing Communications.
The Director will work in tandem with two direct reports to manage and optimize all aspects of in-house media buying, including media research, contract negotiation, creative deadlines, ad trafficking, proof of performance and invoicing. In addition, the Director will act as team lead with agencies of record to “own” the full gamut of paid media efforts on behalf of the University. They will also personally manage finance and accounting needs regarding paid marketing funds for the department. This includes responsibility for accounting, monthly reports, month-end reconciliation, forecasting, budgeting, and ROI reporting.
This is an excellent opportunity for a creative and data-driven marketing leader to work on the University’s Ambition Can’t Wait brand awareness campaign and other paid branding efforts, while also spearheading lead generation initiatives with the support of a robust, data-driven, central marketing and communications team.
- Provide vision and direction on all media research strategy for each paid marketing campaign for both face-to-face and online LeadGen campaigns, using key target market demographics and psychographics as provided by Strategy teams. Tactics will include digital (search, social, display, etc.) as well as traditional (radio, TV, print) media.
- Work with direct reports and leadership team to strategize and manage the research of general and targeted media outlets to support each school/portfolio — with an eye on innovation and optimization.
- Lead and provide vision for the media planning and buying process — including the placement of conversion-driven direct-to-consumer marketing with an emphasis on online marketing (solo emails, banners, eNewsletters, etc.) as well as traditional direct response media, such as print, direct mail, etc. Work with external vendors to negotiate and purchase media in the agreed-upon media plan by portfolio.
- Traffic and evaluate online media buys through Drexel’s ad tracking software — and assist with campaign testing and analysis. Assess ROI and other key success metrics on marketing spends.
- Work closely with finance and marketing teams to develop monthly and annual budgets and forecasts.
- Manage relationships (including weekly status meetings and additional meeting cadences) with Drexel’s agencies of record (AOR) for all digital and traditional media. Liaises with strategy team, as well as colleges/schools to handle agency-led reporting calls and campaign post-mortems.
- Liaise with finance and budget personnel to help manage the marketing budgets within accounting systems and monitor against actuals within marketing campaign management systems. Prepare and present results decks to team leadership, as well as to leadership of the academic and administrative units throughout the university.
- Working in tandem with Marketing Project Manager and Associate Director, Paid Media, serve as essential Ambition Can’t Wait team lead in liaising with AOR to execute on 7+-month media flight in all target markets — making optimizations to media to maximize metrics along the way.
- Spearhead RFP processes on behalf of the Office, working with Office of Procurement and other divisions as needed.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Accounting or related field of study.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in media buying, specifically digital media.
- Experience with paid search engine and paid social media marketing.
- Experience with marketing performance reporting and data analytics.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Excellent capabilities with Excel.
- Be deadline-focused.
- Be motivated and proactive problem-solver.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills.
University City, Philadelphia PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of M. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.