Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that welcomes individuals from diverse and neurodiverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our Policies page to view all University policies related to Human Resources and News and Announcements for workplace postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made.
Please note, the city of Philadelphia has mandated the COVID-19 vaccination for all Universities. More information can be found in the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Job no: 498567
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Remote, Other - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Finance and Administration, Drexel University
As a member of the Office of the Comptroller’s General Accounting team, The Assistant Director seeks to ensure the University’s fiscal policies, accounting procedures, internal control mechanisms and financial systems are safeguarding University resources appropriately. The position assists with ensuring the Banner Finance system and its associated modules and feeder systems are properly functioning and looks for ways to continuously utilize the system to maximize efficiencies for the department and the university community. The Assistant Director works closely with the Associate Comptroller to ensure the timely closing on a monthly and fiscal year-end basis of the university and its subsidiaries. The Assistant Director is responsible to assist with the development and implementation of university accounting policies and related procedures and systems. The position is accountable to assist with providing technical expertise to assist with software implementation and training to ensure full maximization of functionality across the multiple software platforms in use by General Accounting.
- Provides supervisory oversight to two managers of General Accounting. The managers each supervise a staff of four-five employees. Supervisory responsibilities include directing teaching, training and use of competency, productivity and performance standards, selection of candidates, making termination recommendations, performance management, and reviewing performance for staff in department
- Serve as one of the liaisons between General Accounting, Financial Reporting, Research Accounting Services, and Information Technology departments to improve systems, streamline processes, and create efficiencies
- Works closely with the Associate Comptroller to assist with implementing, maintaining, and growing the use of Robotic Process Automation in General Accounting Department using UiPath software
- Continuously evaluate processes and make recommendations for potential attended or unattended robot
- Provide on-going training for the department and staff development activities. This may also include external training and communication to the campus community related to journal workflow or other year-end closing procedures
- Be familiar with the responsibilities of all functional areas of General Accounting and Financial Reporting, and team with other General Accounting staff to work on special projects such as system implementation, process improvements and policy development
- Ensures the timely and accurate recording of all accounting transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Seeks supervisory support when appropriate for complex transactions
- Assist with account reconciliation reviews and resolves issues with appropriate areas of the university
- Supervise financial data input into Banner Finance. Review journal entries for adequate documentation and accuracy
- Resolve discrepancies
- Maintain department records in compliance with the University Document Retention Policy
- Perform regular monthly account reconciliations and other reconciliations as required
- Assist with monitoring assignments and progress related to general, fixed asset, investment, month-end close and year-end close tasks
- Assist with managing internal and external financial and operations process audits. This includes active monitoring of audit request, coordinating with staff or other offices to compile support, and preparing schedules or analysis
- Works closely with the Associate Comptroller to automate and enhance current reconciliations and procedures by utilizing the BlackLine reconciliation software including matching and journals module
- Works closely with the Associate Comptroller to assist with implementing, maintaining, and growing the use of Robotic Process Automation in General Accounting Department using UiPath software. Continuously evaluate processes and make recommendations for potential attended or unattended robot
- Manage/Input lease records, calculations, and maintenance of Visual Lease accounting software. Prepare lease journal entries monthly along with lease roll-forward schedule and related account reconciliations
- Perform high level account analysis as directed or routinely assigned
- Recommends and implements policies and procedures to improve customer service, ensure internal controls and streamline operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 3 -4 years of experience
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience using Hyperion or OBIEE. Banner ERP, Visual Lease, UiPath, and Blackline
- Advanced knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access
- Knowledge of SQL and Oracle databases
- Ability to manage strict deadlines and multiple priorities
Typically sitting at a desk/table
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of M. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Drexel University, in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) publishes the Drexel University Security & Fire Safety Annual Report for current and prospective students and employees. This report contains important safety information and crime statistics for the previous three years. These statistics pertain to reported crimes that have occurred on campus, in certain non-campus buildings or properties that are owned or controlled by Drexel University, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
Printed copies of this report are also available by calling the Public Safety Administrative Office, 215.895.1550.
Additional information about the services provided by the Drexel University Department of Public Safety can be obtained by visiting their website.