Job no: 494088
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City
Categories: College of Engineering, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Academic Advisor will carry a caseload of Electrical and Computer Engineering students, serve as instructor for several sections of the fall term University 101 course, and work on advising projects, as assigned. This is an extremely high visibility position, requiring an individual who can interact with various internal and external constituents. Academic advisors similar to faculty and other professional staff, are central to providing information, guidance, and support with the intent of enabling students to make informed decisions and engage available resources to support academic success and personal and professional growth.
The individual will be expected to exercise sound judgment as it relates to dealing with students, faculty, staff, parents, and representatives of outside organizations. He/she must be a resourceful and disciplined who can work in partnership with stakeholders throughout the university community.
• Advise a caseload of students on curriculum issues, academic progress, and other related matters.
• Teach section(s) of the University 101 fall term course.
• Support students through developmental advising which includes: critical/ethical reasoning, goal setting, identifying /working through obstacles, and making referrals where appropriate.
• Participate in student support programming and recruitment and retention activities, including leading and/or serving on project teams.
• Be proficient and comfortable with technologies related to the academic advisor role.
• Appropriately manage sensitive and private information.
• Possess skills to work with a diverse set of students with particular advising needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- One to two years of experience in academic advising or related experience in higher education environment.
- Master’s Preferred.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and proven organizational skills.
- Experience working with students in academic or personal difficulty in an advising capacity preferred.
- If the selected candidate has at least 5 years of professional academic advising experience within a college setting, he/she will be hired as a Senior Advisor.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
- Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend