Business & Finance Manager
Job no: 494434
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City
Categories: College of Engineering, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Business and Finance Manager position is responsible for the overall financial operations for the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) in the College of Engineering. The Business Manager manages the budgeting, financial analysis, business processes, accounting, purchasing, human resources, management information, bookkeeping, student payroll, and research funding within the department. This position provides financial analysis of general operating, personnel funds, and grant funds for the department.
- Provides managerial leadership for all CBE financial operations.
- Develops a budget in conformance with University and regulatory requirements that supports the strategic goals of the College and Department.
- Participates in budget planning.
- Monitors departmental and PI fiscal expense and revenue budgets, including tracking expenditures, revenues and expense recovery.
- Analyzes trends in spending and identifies optimization strategies.
- Guides faculty in fiscal management; and liaison with internal auditors and external companies and other internal contacts such as the Office of Research and Research Accounting Services.
- Directs routine business functions, ensuring University policy and procedures are followed.
- Ensures and improves process efficiencies, oversee the identification and resolution of accounting and financial discrepancies.
- Oversees and manages all accounts that include unrestricted and restricted funds.
- Monitors grant and contract post award activities (cost share, research buyout), and ensures contract compliance.
- Submits Electronic Personnel Action Forms for hiring and process all related and necessary paperwork.
- Maintains all records and files.
- Maintains analyses of Doctoral student stipend and tuition remission data.
- Acts as a direct point of contact for adjunct faculty, temporary employees and student employees.
- Document and develop department procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree, Preferably in a business related field.
- Minimum of 3 years related experience.
- Strong Excel and related database skills required.
- Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in accounting/finance, budgeting and grants administration, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Knowledge of university accounting, purchasing systems, experience with Hyperion and Banner systems is preferred.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
- Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend