School Program Developer
Job no: 494441
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Other - See posting for details
Categories: Academy of Natural Sciences, Professional Staff
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is seeking an energetic and experienced School Programs Developer to strategically guide and manage programs for this audience.
Working with an innovative education team, many internal departments, and many community organizations, the School Programs Developer will create, test, and facilitate programs for students during the school day, afterschool programs, teacher professional development, and other school-related visitors. Analyzing the programs is a critical part of this role, which is done through research and evaluation, and continuous improvement processes. Training experience is also essential, as the Developer will also train Educators I, II, and III to facilitate these programs.
Overall, the Developer is responsible for the suite of programs offered to this visitor segment and will work closely with all museum teams in the creation of programs and content. Currently, programs that fall into this strand include Discovery Lessons, Academy on the Go outreach programs, Science Curriculum Development for Contract Schools, Teacher Professional Development, and The Youth Summit. New program development will be an essential part of this role.
- Guides the strategic planning and long-term goals of the School Programs Department, created in tandem with the Chief Learning and Engagement Officer.
- Works effectively with internal partners to deliver programs successfully.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises staff, interns, volunteers, Drexel co-ops, and contracted specialists.
- Creates reports and analysis on program content, research and assessment, budget and financial projections, spending, supplies, and spaces.
- Represents the museum in a professional manner, locally and regionally, and make appropriate contributions to the field.
- Demonstrates outstanding program facilitation skills and engaging visitor interaction.
- Prepares program briefs, proposed budgets, activity reports, attendance records, and assessments.
- Coordinates with supervisor on yearly goals and activities.
- Complies with all Drexel required trainings and certifications.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of teaching in an informal learning setting, preferably of science content.
- 4 years of developing new programs for informal settings, including museums and science centers, preferably of science content.
- Passable driver's record per Drexel University's Policy Number RM-2 (https://drexel.edu/hr/resources/policies/dupolicies/rm2/)
- Must pass Criminal Background check and Child Abuse Clearance check.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Experience or ability to learn specialized reporting software.
- Major in Education, Museum Studies, or Science field is preferred.
- 2 years of experience in managing others, preferably in museums or science centers.
- Experience teaching in the public schools and a working knowledge of curriculum at the city, region, state, and national level.
- Experienced in public speaking and facilitation with outstanding communication skills.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills, as pertains to museum learning, science learning, and the delivery of programs for the public.
- Highly collaborative and open to working with varied teams.
- Ability to interact with the public professionally and work well with people of all ages and abilities.
- Dependable; reliable attendance, including some nights and weekends and flexibility to work some special events.
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong background and/or interest in the natural sciences.
- Excitement and sense of passion around the natural sciences.
- Patience and a good sense of humor are most appreciated.
- Add if applicable for posting
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of J. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend