Academic Advisor, College of Computing & Informatics
Job no: 494482
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City
Categories: Drexel University, College of Computing and Informatics, Professional Staff
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The College of Computing and Informatics (CCI) is one the fastest growing academic units within Drexel University and is uniquely positioned as an interdisciplinary and entrepreneurial research and education leader for the 21st century. CCI has seen substantial enrollment growth to over 2,000 students, has introduced new programs in Data Science and is planning new programs in AI and Machine Learning.
The College of Computing and Informatics (CCI) invites applications for openings in academic advisement. The role of the Academic Advisor is to advise current and prospective students in CCI on issues related to academic policy, procedure, and progress toward degree. Advisors perform advanced student service duties requiring broad experience, skill and knowledge of established academic policies and procedures.
The advisor will be expected to work with undergraduate and/or graduate students. CCI undergraduate students study in one of five computer and information sciences related majors. CCI graduate students pursue master's degrees and certificates and are often adult learners seeking professional development skills. CCI students may study on-campus or online.
- Advise CCI current and prospective students.
- Manage student caseloads, counsel on curriculum issues and provide developmental academic advising
- Evaluate transcripts for the application of transfer credit toward a student’s intended degree program
- Develop plans of study outlining path for student degree/program completion
- Assist students with the registration process and resolve any problems they may encounter; maintain lines of communication with faculty, administration and students
- Pre-clear students for graduation, making sure all degree requirements are met
- Develop and maintain appropriate schedules and transaction reports for the College of Computing and Informatics
- Attend student recruitment and retention events. This includes evening and weekend work
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of 3 years of general work experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must display strong interpersonal, organizational and analytics skills.
- Attention to detail is vital.
- Ability to be proactive, recognize problems and offer solutions.
- Ability to handle highly confidential matters and manage information that is sensitive in nature.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and complete projects at a high level is a must.
- A Masters Degree is preferred.
- A working knowledge of Banner student record management and Hyperion report systems.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
- Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend