Job no: 494667
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City
Categories: College of Engineering, Drexel University, Professional Staff
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Advises College of Engineering students on various information such as academic requirements for College of Engineering, departmental curricula, careers associated with in this major, and graduation requirements for the university. This is an extremely high visibility position, requires an individual who is able to interact with various internal and external constituents. This position also requires a high degree of accountability and responsibility. Academic advisors, similar to faculty and other professional staff, are central to providing information, guidance, and support with the intent of enabling students to make informed decisions and engage available resources to maximize learning outcomes and pre-professional development.
The individual will be expected to exercise sound judgment as it relates to dealing with students, faculty, staff, parents, and representatives of outside organizations. He/she must be a resourceful and disciplined individual, dedication to the missions, goals and objectives in higher education as represented by Drexel University, the College of Engineering and the Undergraduate Advising Center. The academic advisor works in partnership with stakeholders throughout the university community, to promote student learning, growth, and development.
- Advise a caseload of freshmen, sophomore and transfer students
- Be available to students through email, appointments and open office hours
- Advise students on curriculum issues, academic progress, transition to their respective departments and other related matters
- Support students through developmental advising which includes: critical/ethical reasoning, goal setting, identifying /working through obstacles, making referrals where appropriate
- Participate in a collaborate environment within the office, college and university in support of student development and retention to degree
- Maintain lines of communication with faculty, administration, undergraduate students, entering freshmen and current students
- Provide timely and accurate information regarding the curriculum to potential students and their parents and to internal and external constituencies
- Participate in retention programming such as Learning Communities, Peer Mentor programs, etc, which may involve evening and weekend hours
- Assist the Director with curriculum, recruitment and retention activities as needed, including serving on project teams within the Office of Student Services
- Be proficient and comfortable with technologies related to the academic advisor role
- Appropriately manage sensitive and private information
- Possess skills to work with a diverse set of students with particular advising needs
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in academic advising or related experience in higher education environment.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and proven organizational skills.
- Master's Degree
- Experience working with students in academic or personal difficulty in an advising capacity.
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
This position is classified as exempt with a salary grade of I. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend