Biomedical Technologist, COVID-19 (SARS-Cov-2) Testing Specialist
Job no: 495025
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Center City
Categories: College of Medicine, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Performs a variety of routine and complex tests in one or more laboratories. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of laboratory operations, including theoretical aspects of testing protocols as well as other policies and routines. Works under minimal supervision for specimen processing, test performance, and result reporting. Supervisory or director review is not required to report clinical laboratory results.
- Accomplishes routine and stat testing within established guidelines and produces accurate results. Makes correct judgments about the validity of testing results based on quality control data.
- Accommodates increased workload at peak times and maintains quality of results
- Performs testing independently, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of protocols and theoretical aspects of testing procedures.
- Maintains complete and accurate logs or documents including QC, as required, according to protocols.
- Recognizes critical values and reportable results according to protocol. Reports critical results appropriately to authorized caregivers and documents this action in the laboratory information system.
- Reports and documents QA related incidents to supervisor.
- Understands and performs information system functions necessary for operations
- Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving and knows when to seek appropriate consultation.
- Familiarity with Laboratory Exposure Control Plan which includes the Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication Program and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standard and applies standard precautions to work practices and knows how to appropriately deal with chemical or biological spills.
- Demonstrates safe practices in the performance of assigned job duties.
- Reports any unsafe practices or conditions to appropriate responsible parties.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1 year of related experience
- BS degree with MLS or MT preferred. Certifications, education, and/or experience must meet CLIA requirements for moderate and high complexity testing.
- Instrumentation experience preferred (QuantStudio 6 Pro Real-Time PCR System, SmartStart Orientation (94 and 384 plate capabilities) along with a Kingfisher robotic extraction apparatus and QiaAgility liquid handling system; and Roche Cobas 6800).
- Medical Technologist (ASCP) credentialed from the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).
- Medical Lab Scientist (ASCP) credentialed from the American Society for Clinical
- Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC)
- Medical Tech credentialed from the American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- Medical Tech credentialed from the American Board of Bioanalysis (AAB)
This position is classified as Non-exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend