Job no: 495032
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City
Categories: College of Arts & Sciences, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
A Research Technician position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Kari Lenhart in the Department of Biology at Drexel University. Our lab is located on the University City campus in the Papadakis Integrated Sciences Building.
Research in the Lenhart lab focuses on stem cell-stem cell interactions within the specialized environment, or niche, using the Drosophila testis as a model system. More specifically, our lab is interested in understanding the cell biology and signaling events that control coordination of two distinct stem cell populations to ensure tissue homeostasis. We primarily use a combination of genetics and live cell imaging to ask questions about stem cell behaviors within the endogenous niche. The successful applicant will engage in exciting research, be exposed to a rich intellectual environment both at Drexel and at the University of Pennsylvania where the Lenhart lab participates in joint lab meetings with a number of other labs studying fruit flies, and will gain significant experience in genetic and cell biological analyses. The position will consist of both research and administrative work. While we will consider applicants who commit to a single year in the position, preference would be for a 2-year commitment.
- Ensure biosafety compliance
- Provide technical assistance with experiments, microscopy and maintaining genetic crosses
- Preparation of stock solutions, order supplies, maintain fly stock, prepare fly food
- Lab support and maintenance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or related field
- One year of previous experience
- Well organized, detail-oriented, and highly motivated
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work as part of a collaborative team
- Exhibit significant intellectual curiosity about stem cell and developmental biology
- Previous experience in a biomedical research laboratory
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
This position is classified as Non-Exempt with a salary grade of F. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend