Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Medical Assistant will be responsible for administrative and clinical support services in primary care within a team-based model of care.
Staff is expected to uphold the health center mission by assuring that patients receive health care that is competent, caring, and meets with a high degree of quality and satisfaction. In addition, staff must support FPCN's and Drexel University’s Stephen and Sandra Sheller 11th Street Health Center’s commitment to the creation of a trauma-informed system of care that continually recognizes and responds to the impact of traumatic stress on all those who have contact with the organization, including children, adults, families, caregivers, and staff.
Direct Patient Care:
1. Prepares the environment to assure that the all necessary equipment/information is available for effective and efficient care during the visit.
2. Works in a team-based model of care in which Medical Assistants play an equal role with other health professionals in the delivery and promotion of quality care for our patients.
3. Greets and actively engages with patients and assists the patients to feel prepared for their visit.
4. Triages patients, including but not limited to: vital signs, weight and height, EKGs, eye and hearing exams, in house labs, peak flows, and health screenings.
5. Assures that all documentation is correct and complete.
6. Works with the CRNP to provide comprehensive care. In addition, works collaboratively with health professionals from multiple disciplines across the center to promote the health and wellbeing of our patients.
7. Maintain medical records using standard filing systems, as needed.
8. Performs inventory control and ordering supplies, as assigned
9. Initiates and performs rapid HIV testing, including obtaining consent.
10. Completes necessary paperwork.
11. Assists with office procedures.
12. Prepares and administers immunizations and medication injections as ordered.
13. Collects and preserves bodily fluids, blood, and other specimens.
Indirect Patient Care:
1. Prepares forms for visit.
2. Prepares and forwards requests for referrals as assigned, which may involve all or some of the following: obtaining health insurance authorization, completing referral form, making referral appointment for patient, coordinating on-site Transportation Services, and notifying patient when referral is complete.
3. Prepares and forwards request for medication refills, as assigned.
General laboratory services:
1. Performs a variety of standard lab tests with standing orders from primary care providers (including but not limited to blood sugars, urine dip, etc).
2. Prepares laboratory specimens to assure the correct information.
3. Completes all paperwork and forms related to the handling of specimens and document all actions in the patient record.
Maintenance of laboratory-related equipment and supplies:
1. Takes inventory of supplies on a regular basis, orders supplies, and stores upon their arrival. 2. Ensures lab equipment properly maintained, which includes knowledge of routine handling/usage, storage, and cleansing/sterilization. Have equipment serviced at recommended intervals according to manufacturer’s and/or OSHA guidelines.
1. Assists the primary care providers and clinical nurse in collecting information related to triaging patients.
1. Consistently practices universal precautions.
2. Participates in relevant Practice committees.
3. Performs additional duties related to the responsibilities of the Medical Assistant as directed by supervisor.
4. Substitutes for Medical Assistants at other practices, when deemed necessary by supervisor.
5. Supports smooth functioning of practice by completing data entry as assigned.
6. Receives cross-training as a Patient Service Representative and substitutes for this role at the Practice when deemed necessary by supervisor. This includes scheduling, registration, updating patient records, answering phones, and other duties as required.
- HS Diploma or GED
- Current Medical Assistant Certification in Commonwealth of PA
- Familiarity with an Electronic Medical Record system
- Exhibit behaviors that align with RHD/FPCN’s and Drexel University’s CNHP, 11th Street’s organizational values, mission, and beliefs and avoid displaying behaviors that are in opposition to those values.
- Support FPCN's and Drexel University’s Stephen and Sandra Sheller 11th Street Health Center’s commitment to the creation of a trauma-informed system of care that continually recognizes and responds to the impact of traumatic stress on all those who have contact with the organization, including children, adults, families, caregivers, and staff.
- Demonstrate cultural competence/proficiency in interactions with others by treating co-workers, colleagues and those receiving service with respect and fairness at all times.
- Ability to build and maintain positive and professional relationships based on respect, trust, and safety.
- Ability to create a space for staff and those we serve to feel physically and emotionally safe.
- Ability to support individuals on their paths to recovery and healing and resist re-traumatization of staff and patients.
- Demonstrate exemplary problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Highly responsible and reliable as well as courteous
- Unconditional ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to prioritize
This position is classified as Non-exempt with a salary grade of F. Position starts at $16/hr, but commensurate with experience.
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.