Job no: 495804
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: College of Medicine, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Pre-Health Advisor is responsible for overseeing Drexel University’s robust pre-health advising program for students and alumni.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director for Career Services in the Steinbright Career Development Center, the Pre-Health Advisor will be responsible for overseeing Drexel University’s robust pre-health advising program for students and alumni. The pre-health advisor plays a vital role in constructing curricula based on a student's career interest in specific health professions and recruits new students through strategic outreach to prospective students and their parents. This position also helps students and alumni to identify and pursue clinical, volunteer or community services experiences and research opportunities. The Steinbright Career Development Center is Drexel University’s world-class resource for career and cooperative education services. For details, click here.
Pre-Health Student Advising
- Advise students and alumni on the academic path toward medical school and other health programs including dental, veterinary, optometry, podiatry, physician assistant, physical therapy, and occupational therapy programs.
- Guide students and alumni through the professional school application process. Assist with application materials, guidance on entrance examination preparation resources, interviews, and personal statements.
- Promote volunteer, clinical, research, and other experiential learning opportunities for students considering the health professions.
- Advise Drexel student pre-health organizations.
- Collect, maintain, and analyze data pertaining to the admission of students and alumni to health professional schools.
- Develop and oversee the content of the Steinbright Career Development Center’s Pre-Health Advising website, social media presence, marketing materials, and library resources.
- Chair Health Professions Committee, review applicants, and write committee letters for applicants to medical and schools.
- Conduct workshops and classroom presentations to provide overview of the application process for those interested in medical school and other health programs.
- Collaborate with admissions to maintain and enhance Drexel’s strong pre-health program reputation among prospective students, including participation in Open Houses and programs for Admitted Students.
- Provide career counseling to students and alumni: resume reviews, mock interviews and supporting career fairs, participate in on-campus recruiting events, employer information sessions and provide operational support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 3 years of counseling, higher education, or pre-health related experience
University City Campus, Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend