Manager, Research Operations
Job no: 496130
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Center City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Medicine
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
This position develops and implements initiatives that seek to synergize, facilitate, and elevate the research enterprise within the Department of Pharmacology and Physiology in line with the strategic goals of the Department Chair. The individual will provide diverse essential services related to research operations and optimization, such as coordination of the effective use of departmental resources and research space, management of vendor relations, and oversight of equipment upgrades and servicing – to name a few.
Overall, the selected candidate is expected to engage in positive relationships with faculty, administrative staff, prospective and enrolled students, potential external partners, and other university offices. The position requires a high degree of confidence, finesse, and organization to be successful and the candidate will be expected to function with a high degree of independence.
This is a full-time position. Compensation is based on candidate qualifications and expertise (DU salary grade K/L). However, Dr. Meucci is currently restructuring the departmental office and will also consider strong applicants interested in part time employment - for this or other administrative openings. Please contact Ms. Elizabeth Kopen (email@example.com) for more information.
- Formulate actionable goals, implement strategic plans, and foster relationships to strengthen the overall research structure within the department. Develops methods intended to maximize potential use and value of current resource infrastructure. Includes expanding the capabilities and coordinating the effective use of current department assets.
- Constructs, implements, and oversees a process to standardize training and use of general department resources. Collaborates with faculty and researchers to design a system for efficient usage of department equipment to ensure that each lab and researcher has ample opportunity to take advantage of assets available. Manages and assists with the planning of optimal use of departmental space. Attend to all daily maintenance and safety issues (i.e., ceiling leaks, electrical outages, etc).
- Assure safety compliance for all shared departmental space, including common use rooms and laboratories. Consults and gives guidance/assistance to individual research labs regarding university policy and standards, organization, efficiency, department culture and expectations. Assists faculty with IACUC protocol writing and review process. Conducts behavioral assays if needed (optional & depending on candidate’s background). Responsible for maintaining compliance with IACUC & Biosafety regulations. Performs fixed asset inventory for the department each year.
- Serve as the primary liaison for vendor relations for the department & negotiate service contracts for common departmental equipment. Identify inefficiencies and areas of potential cost savings. Conduct surveys and analyze initiatives to identify areas of strengths and weaknesses to evaluate the enhancement efforts within the department.
- Performs fixed asset inventory for the department each year
- Supervise proper use of core facilities by trainees and research staff & maintain a very organized and orderly environment.
- Assist Department Chair with other research-related project depending on needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Candidates will possess a minimum of 3 years of management experience in a research environment.
- Knowledge of research activities and operations and, preferably, a familiarity with the grant writing/review process and the common academic processes that regulate research in compliance to NIH policies (e.g., IACUC; IRB; Biosafety protocols).
- Master’s Degree
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to function independently and be able to adapt to evolving priorities
- Ability to effectively communicate scientific and business ideas to a diverse constituency
- Must be detail oriented and be able to demonstrate strong analytical abilities
- Be able to establish and re-establish changing priorities; time-management skills are essential
- Proficiency with computers and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office is required
- Established understanding of academic research activities and processes
- Must have a genuine appreciation of the impact of physical environment on performance and expected to be able to find creativity solutions to keep such balance
Center City, Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of M. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend