Associate Director of Corporate Communications, Office of the Provost
Job no: 497535
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, Office of the Provost
Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Reporting to the Vice Provost for Strategic Communications and Marketing, the Associate Director of Corporate Communications will tell the story of Drexel’s research, innovation and talent development capabilities to external partners to help build strong, comprehensive partnerships and support a culture of innovation. This role will engage in promotion and storytelling around the work of the Drexel Solutions Institute (DSI), Drexel’s gateway for academic and industry collaboration, and other current and future innovation initiatives that support the priorities of the Drexel 2030 Strategic Plan: Designing the Future.
This position requires an agile writer, strategist and self-starter with the ability to translate complex research topics into digestible content packaged into multiple formats and geared towards varying audiences. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader who is comfortable working with both academic and industry senior leaders, as well as fellow communications professionals, and supports a collaborative culture where ideas are valued and risk taking is encouraged.
Communications Planning & Strategy:
- Engage in short-term, mid-term and long-term editorial and communications planning while serving as lead writer and executor of those plans, adhering to best practices and maintaining quality control.
- Help set key performance indicators for content, leading measurement and reporting efforts.
- In collaboration with the Vice Provost for Strategic Communications, build Drexel’s brand and reputation as a solutions provider by leading partnership marketing efforts such as content marketing, social media, white papers, web copy and other externally facing communications.
- Write stories that provide clear and nuanced engagement with Drexel’s of-the-moment research that can be used to pitch and educate prospective external partners about potential applications. This may include short-form and long-form stories, featured students/faculty/partner highlights or other approaches that connect with high-impact executive and industry topics.
- Identify opportunities for marketing, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in impact, collaboration and partnership expansion, staying attuned to marketing trends and practices in external industries.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the Drexel Solutions Institute’s offerings, partners and capabilities, building relationships with Drexel and DSI researchers to effectively communicate research strengths.
- Contribute to business development functions such as articulating DSI’s value proposition and mission, identifying and meeting clients’ communications needs, supporting the creation of meeting decks and collateral, and writing requests for proposal (RFPs).
- Develop tactics for paid and earned media. Work with the Office of University Communications to position faculty and administration as thought leaders.
Bachelor’s Degree, Journalism, English, Communications or related field.
A minimum of 7 years professional experience
The Associate Director of Corporate Communications should be a superior writer and editor with strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- 7+ years of experience in communications, content or editorial role; experience writing about applied business or research topics preferred
- Experience and confidence in networking and collaborating with senior leaders
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex research into impactful content for a variety of audiences
- Highly organized with superior editing ability and close attention to detail
- Proven aptitude for using data and metrics in decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to serve as part of a team and develop productive working relationships with multiple constituencies
- Interest in innovation and cutting-edge research applied to societal challenges
- Ability to self-organize and project manage according to team goals in a fast-paced environment with multiple, competing priorities
• Background in journalism or public relations.
• Familiarity with the Learning & Development (L&D) and the corporate landscape.
Typically sitting at a desk/table
University City – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as exempt with a salary grade of M. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applications will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend