Instructional Support Analyst (Course Scheduler), College of Arts and Sciences
Job no: 497573
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Arts & Sciences
Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CoAS) is seeking an academic scheduler, preferably with data management experience, to join an established scheduling team in the role of Instructional Support Analyst. As a key member of the Finance and Administration team, the incumbent will be responsible for the scheduling duties of several programs/departments within the College. Responsibilities include developing and managing the annual course schedule for several academic programs in the College, as well as monitoring, tracking, and reconciling the annual teaching plan and associated instructional support expenses across the College’s various departments. This team member must be a problem-solver who is well-organized and who can prioritize various projects to meet established deadlines. The team member must also have a professional history of communicating effectively and diplomatically with diverse audiences. Experience with Hyperion, Banner, CLSS, and other higher education platforms is strongly preferred.
- Using a high-level of critical thinking, analyze student degree requirements, plans of study, and historic enrollment numbers to develop baseline departmental course offerings for all academic units within the College based on college academic priorities. Coordinate with academic leadership at the Department and College-level enrollment limits, time blocks, reserved seating, course restrictions and attributes, classroom needs, and cross listed sections while ensuring compliance with Registrar’s course offerings policies.
- Oversee approval of annual course scheduling process and manage ad hoc requests for changes to courses over the span of the academic year.
- Manage quarterly section balancing process to effectively offer courses while balancing instructor load assignments.
- Develop and maintain method for tracking instructor teaching and exam preferences.
- Reconcile the annual teaching plan provided by Departments with the final schedule and provide associated instructional support reports to college leadership
- Manage student enrollment for efficient use of College and University classroom space and resources.
- Liaise with department faculty and staff as well as academic advisers to forecast future course offerings, develop student communication plans, set enrollment and credit hour targets, and make recommendations on unit procedures related to course offerings and instructor assignments.
- Work with other academic units outside of the College to resolve scheduling challenges, set expectations and timelines for the College’s scheduling process, and meet the needs of students across the university.
- Collect, analyze, and provide reports on enrollment trends and instructor assignments to the Dean and senior leadership. Develop templates for common practices to ensure the consistency of format and terminology across the College, where appropriate. Train and develop other College colleagues on best practices in reporting and analysis.
- Identify course scheduling conflicts and inefficiencies and make recommendations to College and Departmental leadership.
- Provide guidance, service, and act as a subject matter expert to academic departments and users of the university’s scheduling system and course catalog system.
- Develop, implement, analyze, maintain, and continually improve course scheduling best practices, timelines, and policies in the College.
- Partner with the College Office of Finance and Administration and Departments to define, implement, and audit financial controls, policies, and procedures related to course scheduling and tracking of instructional support costs and ensure adherence to procedures by academic departments.
- Identify and develop key metrics and dashboards to better measure the success of the College’s instructional offerings.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and possess patience, tact, and an ability to diplomatic and assertive with a broad constituency including faculty, staff, students, and administrators
- Good analytical and mathematical skills
- Have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality
- Ability to independently analyze data to identify trends and inefficiencies as well as the ability to recognize alternative options and to find solutions to conflicting situations
- Skill in managing time and setting priorities in an environment of frequent interruptions and distractions
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction and take appropriate action
- Ability to use initiative and discretion in working with faculty and senior management
- Must preserve absolute confidentiality in all financial matters
Typically sitting at a desk/table
University City- Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of J. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend