Assistant Director, Protocol and Special Events
Job no: 498282
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Hybrid/Flexible Work Arrangement, University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, Institutional Advancement
Drexel’s Office of Institutional Advancement (IA) supports the University’s mission and strategic priorities by generating philanthropic engagement and by building and strengthening relationships among alumni, students, faculty, staff, civic leaders, friends, and foundation and corporate partners. We aspire to create a sustainable and lasting culture of philanthropy at Drexel University by cultivating the next generation of leadership through volunteer initiatives and alumni engagement.
In alignment with Drexel University’s values and priorities, IA is committed to maintaining a flexible and dynamic work environment that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion; professional and career development; and collaboration and innovation across all our departments.
The Assistant Director for Presidential Protocol and Special Events works with the President’s Office, Institutional Advancement and other departments to provide professional support in the planning and implementation of events and programs. The position will manage presidential house dinners and stewardship events, as well as on-campus events and initiatives, both in-person and virtually (as required). The Assistant Director will ensure that high standards and University priorities are reflected in all areas and will interact with diverse and distinguished guests, including donors, faculty, professional staff, trustees, students, and friends of the university
- Provide expertise and full event management with little/no supervision while implementing standard University operating procedures for all processes as they pertain to pre-event, event day, and post-event operations
- Maintain a key understanding of campus and leadership: event space, trustees, senior management and administration
- Act as primary contact for events of a presidential nature or as requested. Liaise directly with concerned parties in planning and preparing initiatives and provide protocol guidance. Be on location to prepare facility and greet guests
- Work with university vendors, both internal and external, to ensure high level of service Negotiate contracts, food/beverage, supplies, audiovisual equipment, travel arrangements, signage, décor, and entertainment.
- Create comprehensive forecasts and budgets for all assigned special events. Provide cost benefit analysis reports that identify actual event expenditures as well as cost savings achieved
- Work with Internal Operations in matters pertaining to Procurement, Office of General Counsel, Risk Management for all contracts and fiscal matters.
- Collaborates with colleagues in Institutional Advancement and the academic enterprise to maximize potential and meet event goals and objectives
- Manages all necessary tasks and projects on the day of event, including managing stage program with executive level participants
- Manage and process stewardship outreach as requested by the Office of the President
- Coordinate guest lists, confirmations, event briefings and guest communications for presidential stewardship events. Request guest biographies and background information.
- Plan menus with principals. Work with campus partners to confirm needed home services.
- Partner with Office of the President and Protocol colleagues to confirm appropriate guests for Presidential-level University non-profit sponsorship events.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of three years relevant experience
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Operate with high levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Display diplomacy, tact, and the ability to view criticism constructively
- History of working with senior-level corporate leadership
- Experience with Ellucian Advance, Social Tables and EMS Reservations a plus
Typically sitting at a desk/table/standing/walking
Lifting less than or up to 25lbs
Hybrid/Flexible Work Arrangement - in-person requirements as needed for events and projects.
This position is classified exempt with a salary grade of J. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applications will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend