Fabrication Facilities Manager, Design Arts Annex
Job no: 498493
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, Westphal College of Media Arts & Design
The Fabrication Facilities Manager, Design Arts Annex will strive to maintain the most efficient shop possible while simultaneously seeking modernization opportunities for the working spaces. A Manager with a keen eye for upkeep and advancement of facilities is paramount to the success of the courses being offered in the Annex spaces. These goals are met by the providing state of the art technologies and equipment, proper storage and organizational strategies, the hiring of staff with excellent work ethics, ease of use via shop flow and an exceptionally clean shop area.
Maintenance of equipment and shop spaces:
- Ensure that the tools and equipment are operating correctly and safely.
- Conduct maintenance and routine inspection of machines including changing of saw blades and cutters, calibration of gauges, routine lubrication and bearing placements, etc.
- Routine servicing of welding and plasma equipment and proper storage of AV equipment.
- Daily removal of waste containers and objective hazards such as scrap plywood, outdated projects, etc.
- Organize cleaning supplies for ease of use.
- Overall monitor and maintain the Design Arts Annex.
- Oversee the safe operating procedures of the wood and metal shops, the CNC facility and all class and storage rooms. This includes oversight and direction of classrooms for drawing, performance, and installation art.
- Act as a liaison with facilities staff to ensure proper operation of infrastructure systems.
- Consult, hire and supervise private contractors to perform maintenance on infrastructure in a timely manner when needed.
- Assist students with fabrication help and technical expertise during open lab hours.
- Provide safety trainings and orientation to faculty, staff and students using the shop equipment.
- Produce and update the safety and machine operation manual.
- Maintain and enforce shop policy standards.
Provide support for faculty:
- Provide support to faculty teaching in the Annex shops, including ordering materials and special tooling, providing with technical expertise, instructing students, managing lab fee payments, ensure availability of machines and tooling for custom class projects.
- Ensure materials and tooling is prepared for use during class time.
- Track purchases made via Smart Source and P-Card expenses.
- Responsible for overseeing the operating budget and collected lab fees.
- Work with Westphal administrative staff to acquire funding for building and maintenance requests.
Supervise work-study and staff positions:
- Hire and manage work-study students and professional staff positions.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Ability to bend, crouch, stoop.
- Ability to run, climb.
University City, Philadelphia PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of I. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend