Program Administrator, Research
Job no: 498591
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Arts & Sciences
CoAS’ Program Administrator serves as direct support for grant/research efforts. This is a vital position, reporting to the Associate Dean for Research, to provide administrative, project and program support and management of the College’s research, grant and contract activities. This position will work closely with faculty and personnel across the University, especially coordination of efforts with personnel in the Office of Research and Innovation.
Manage pre-award, post-award, and all other administrative aspects of the College’s research program for multiple academic units in the College:
- Investigate and gather information on available research grants and opportunities for faculty.
- Disseminate opportunities matched to college faculty research interests.
- Train faculty on Drexel research related systems, policies, and procedures.
- Provide pre-award and post-award grant support/management to individual faculty members.
- Participate in regular required meetings of the college research staff, led by the Associate Dean for Research
- Coordinate completion of data requests from Associate Dean for Research.
- Assist with ongoing system and process improvements for research operations.
- Provide detailed project briefings and status reports to Principal Investigators, Department Heads, Center Directors, and the Associate Dean for Research quarterly.
- Provide administrative and program support to the Associate Dean for Research, as needed.
- Serve as a representative, as requested, for university-wide committees related to research administration topics (e.g., the CoAS Research Committee, CoAS Research Finance Committee)
- Serve as a representative on Drexel’s Research Administration Advisory Committee (RAAC).
- Support the Associate Dean of Research in coordinating research efforts within the College, including duties that pertain to Centers/Institutes, cross-college efforts, and other special projects.
- Oversee the operation of CoAS’ research tracking system, report generation and research projections for the Dean’s office, department heads, and finance team.
- Cation, oversight, and enforcement of college research policies, processes and procedures as requested by Associate Dean of Research.
- Manage the calendar of opportunities for extramural funding for the faculty and plan for cyclical projects and deadlines.
- Coordinate internal research grant proposal process and tracking.
- Maintain research calendar with faculty so all internal deadlines are met. This includes drafting budgets, completing internal paperwork, obtaining signatures, and submitting documentation in advance of the proposal deadline.
- Upload application packages to ASSIST, Grants.gov, Fastlane, and other submission platforms.
- Assist faculty and staff with uploading information on internal electronic proposal submission systems (e.g., COEUS).
- Review proposal documents for compliance with Drexel and sponsor policies.
- Complete budget preparation and analysis for research proposals.
- Coordinate with faculty in caseload so all internal deadlines are met. This includes [but not limited to] drafting budgets and advising faculty on both sponsor and College-based cost principles and policies, completing internal paperwork, obtaining signatures and submitting documentation in advance of the proposal deadline.
- Assist faculty with budget revisions and no-cost extensions.
- Maintain all grant files, submissions, and award tracking.
- Proofread and edit grant proposals and provide technical writing expertise as needed.
- Support the formulation and execution of multidisciplinary team proposals across the College and the University.
- Serve as a liaison with Office of Research and Innovation (ORI) Program Administrators on behalf of faculty.
- Work with Drexel Office of Foundations and Corporate Relations to communicate foundation and industry research funding opportunities to faculty.
- Communicate and coordinate new grants awarded and press releases to the CoAS leadership (Dean, Associate Dean for Research) and with marketing team (Writer/Editor).
Post-Award related activities include but not limited to:
- Monitor all phases of award and closing (review invoices/transactions/receipts for deficiencies, deficits, and accuracy).
- Monitor funds to ensure all transactions are accurate and deficits avoided.
- Provide current spending, forecasting, and budget projections to faculty to ensure appropriate spending of grant funds.
- Liaison with department and center administrative staff to ensure financial transactions related to grant personnel are processed correctly and according to schedule (PAFs, labor redistributions, etc.).
- Prepare, submit, and follow-up on all paperwork relative to budgetary procedures for extramural grants and some intramural funds (PAFs, transaction corrections, etc.).
- Pre-review effort reporting for faculty and work with faculty to ensure effort reporting certification happens in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with the Associate Dean for Research and the Executive Director of Finance in issues and procedures that intersect both Research and Finance, such as projections and expenditure reporting, purchasing, hiring of personnel, consulting agreements, and other financial administration items.
- Review of new contracts, non-disclosure agreements, ongoing negotiations
- Liaison with Research Accounting Services on behalf of faculty
- Effectively communicate with Drexel and sponsor contacts throughout the award/closeout process to ensure all administrative tasks are completed and issues addressed as needed. Work to rectify deficits on sponsored funds and address invoicing issues.
- Coordinate research announcements and press releases with marketing team (Writer/Editor).
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Administrative experience
- Evidence of strong project management skills
- Ability to handle confidential materials
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with faculty and staff to achieve desired results
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, organizational, and analytic skills required
- Leadership skills and the ability to work within a team
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office suite and related software, including database and presentation programs
- Strong Excel skills required
- Master’s degree
- Administrative experience in supporting research and contract activities in academia or industry.
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
University City- Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend