Administrative Coordinator - Departments of Chemistry and Physics
Job no: 498875
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Arts & Sciences
The Departments of Chemistry and Physics in the College of Arts and Sciences at Drexel University are seeking an individual with strong administrative and personnel skills to assist in the administrative management of our academic Departments. The Administrative Coordinator works with the Departmental Administrators and Department Heads of the Departments of Chemistry and Physics. Day to day duties will be divided between the two departments. Overall oversight and evaluation of this position will be the responsibility of the Chemistry Department Head, with input from the Physics Department Head. The Administrative Coordinator should have exceptional communication and problem-solving skills handling office duties and optimizing office operations. We seek an experienced and professional individual who is highly organized, can work independently, is a good problem solver, and has strong verbal and written communication skills.
Under the direction of and in collaboration with the Department Administrator(s):
- Independently manage the physical office space and daily physical operations of the Department(s); duties may include, but are not limited to: mail sorting and distribution; managing offices keys and/or space access; processing work orders; managing telecommunications needs; ordering supplies; resolving issues with office equipment; ensuring space is cleaned and trash is picked up regularly; acting as a liaison with Facilities and EHS
- As the first point of contract for departmental guests, greet and direct visitors with a pleasant and collegial attitude; refer students and visitors to the appropriate office
- Oversee compliance with the PA Enhanced Background Check policies for all employees in the Department
- Manage and coordinate the departmental calendar and oversee any departmental schedules such as faculty office hours, student help sessions, and departmental meetings and events
- Manage the departmental general email inbox and provide support for any departmental listservs
- Support the management of physical and digital files; maintain compliance with university record retention policies
- Answer and direct telephone calls
- (Department of Chemistry only.) Manage ordering and scheduled deliveries for select external Chemistry vendors. Communicate with account representatives on pricing, backorders, delivery issues and tax-exempt status requirements
- Provide logistical support for departmental events in coordination with other departmental staff
- Organize travel arrangements for faculty and departmental guests
- Ensure faculty books orders are submitted
- Collect and organize syllabi for all courses offered by the Departments
- Compose, type, and distribute meeting notes, routine correspondence, and reports
- Perform general administrative, clerical, and executive support tasks
- Provide support to departmental faculty and committees, staff, students, and guests
- Assist in other miscellaneous duties as requested by the Department Administrator and/or Department Head in Chemistry or Physics
- Other duties as assigned
- HS Diploma or GED
- 3- 5 years of Experience
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and/or related experience.
- Proficient with MS Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Ability to learn University- specific systems.
- This position requires the ability to switch gears depending on processing and/or project deadlines and remains flexible in order to adapt to changing priorities.
- Must have the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Associate degree
- Familiarity with higher education in the sciences
- Experience with Hyperion and Banner; training will be provided
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
- Lifting demands ≤ 25lbs
- Typically bending, crouching, stooping
University City-Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as non-exempt with a salary grade of H. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend