Adjunct - MFA in Creative Writing
Job no: 499046
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Remote, Other - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Arts & Sciences
About the College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences (CoAS) delivers a time-honored liberal arts education paired with Drexel’s renowned focus on applied learning. Our research and scholarship explore contemporary issues with an eye toward improving the common good. With a breadth of disciplines in the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities, and a focus on the now, the College is the perfect home for curious scholars who seek to apply their learning in the service of humanity. Our undergraduate programs, Co-op experiences and Community-Based Learning courses give students a broad-based, hands-on education that prepares them to make an impact immediately. Our graduate programs take a rigorous yet practical approach to advancing knowledge. Our faculty members are dedicated teachers and gifted scholars who publish groundbreaking research on the world’s most pressing issues.
About the MFA Program
The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Writing provides writers with the tools and skills to forge professional ties and succeed after graduation. This two-year program leverages Drexel’s historical approach to education with an emphasis on experiential and career-focused opportunities. With a mix of online and in-person opportunities, the MFA in Creative Writing's low-residency format accommodates the schedules of aspiring writers. The MFA program is housed in the Department of English and Philosophy.
The Drexel MFA program is looking for writers who work in different styles and genres, such as literary fiction, fantasy, humor, historical fiction, sci fi, suspense, young adult, etc. to be hired as adjunct faculty. The MFA is also looking for publishing industry professionals to teach professional development electives and courses. The adjunct faculty member will employ a variety of strategies to foster student learning and discussions, as well as encourage active learning in all students, maintain proper course-related records, and evaluate student work and provide students with feedback as to the progress toward meeting the objectives of the course. Each adjunct faculty member is responsible for effectively teaching students in the assigned classroom or online in both synchronous and asynchronous sessions.
- Teach the required number of credit hours per quarter based on contract.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills related to teaching methodology, curriculum development, and evaluation.
- Evaluate student achievement of curricular objectives/outcomes.
- Schedule one office hour per week per class.
- Schedule administrative time for course preparation.
- Maintain communication with the program director regarding any course or student issues.
- Perform other similar duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree or above.
- Applicants must have at least one published novel or collection of short stories with a literary press, small press, or be a publishing industry professional with at least 3 years experience in the field.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
- Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend