Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Since its founding in the midst of the industrial revolution in 1891, Drexel University has emphasized its strengths in engineering, science and technology to train future leaders. In little over a century, Drexel University has transformed itself into a large, comprehensive institution committed to excellence in education, research, and service to engineering society and the broader community. Although much has changed, the original mission of the University still rings true today. To learn more about each of the divisions and programs offered, visit Drexel Engineering. Link to https://drexel.edu/engineering/
The Drexel Engineering Faculty Cluster Hiring initiative https://drexel.edu/engineering/about/employment-opportunities/faculty-cluster/ will facilitate interdisciplinary hiring and enhance strategic connections across colleges in alignment with thematic areas of our strategic plan. https://drexel.edu/engineering/about/strategic-plan/ We embrace a collaborative approach that leverages our existing strengths and aims to address critical and significant societal challenges through emerging engineering methods and platforms across:
• Renewable energy and power;
• Health, wellness, and medicine;
• Smart, integrated cities; and
• Resource stewardship and sustainability.
This will be a multi-year process involving faculty across the College of Engineering as well as other schools and colleges throughout Drexel University, aimed at enhancing the research impact of the college; addressing enrollment growth and strategic teaching needs; advancing our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and building on our widely-respected strengths in these rapidly evolving fields.
We seek faculty hires who will catalyze interdisciplinary collaboration across the cluster themes, attract significant external research funding, and enrich our undergraduate and graduate students’ experience.
The College of Engineering at Drexel University invites applicants for tenure-track assistant professor faculty positions across multiple departments in the cluster themes of energy and sustainability; smart, integrated cities; and health, wellness, and medicine.
Drexel University’s College of Engineering strives to create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment. The college values inclusion as a core strength and an essential part of our founder, AJ Drexel’s mission of preparing each new generation of students for productive professional and civic lives, while also focusing our collective expertise on solving society’s greatest problems.
In the area of smart, integrated cities, candidates can apply to one of three departments:
• Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering https://drexel.edu/engineering/about/employment-opportunities/faculty-cluster/civil-architectural-and-environmental-engineering/– seeking candidates to build a dynamic and exciting research program in the areas of physical-cyber infrastructure and/or design and management of next-generation urban transportation systems.
• Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering https://drexel.edu/engineering/about/employment-opportunities/faculty-cluster/electrical-and-computer-engineering/– seeking candidates with expertise in robotics and automation who can establish a dynamic ECE research program along with the potential to collaborate on current programs such as machine learning, biomedical imaging, medical robotics, and the Internet of Things.
• Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics https://drexel.edu/engineering/about/employment-opportunities/faculty-cluster/mechanical-engineering-and-mechanics/– seeking candidates in all areas of Mechanical Engineering including a) design, solid mechanics, and manufacturing; b) control and robotics; and c) thermal, fluid sciences.
- Teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Advise PhD and MS students
- Service to the college and/or university
- Establish/maintain strong sponsored research
The applicant must have a PhD in Engineering or a related field by the September 1, 2022, start date. Candidates must have a demonstrated record of and commitment to scholarly achievement and excellence.
Typically sitting at a desk/table/standing/walking
University City, Philadelphia, PA
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Candidates should upload the following documents in a single PDF file:
- Cover letter.
- Curriculum vitae.
- The names of three professional references.
- Brief research and teaching statement.
- A diversity statement (a diversity statement that presents and discusses the candidate's past experiences, present efforts, and/or future aspirations to promoting equity, inclusion, and diversity in all aspects of their academic careers – please feel free to consult the Office of Equality and Diversity https://drexel.edu/oed/diversity/overview/ for Drexel University’s position on equality and diversity).
The initial review of candidates has begun as of November 8th, but candidates applying after this deadline may receive consideration.