Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
We are seeking a self-motivated, diligent, and well-organized candidate with a PhD in Music Therapy or Creative Arts Therapies to join our Music, Creativity and Wellness Lab. The postdoctoral fellow will help coordinate grant activities of a large-scale comparative effectiveness trial comparing the effects of virtually delivered music therapy with cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety management in cancer survivors. The postdoc fellow will assist with recruitment, study implementation, treatment fidelity testing, and the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data. The postdoc fellow will also actively work with our team and patient co-investigators to disseminate the study findings. Applicants should have a keen interest in developing skills in designing and coordinating music therapy clinical trials, conducting mixed methods research, grant writing and applying these skills to advance the lab’s research activities as well as progress towards a career as an independent researcher.
• Coordinate administrative and logistical aspects of a clinical trial
• Assist with training of research personnel
• Assist with supervision of research protocol implementation
• Coordinate and assist with treatment fidelity monitoring
• Supervise research assistants
• Track enrollment and assessment completion statistics
• Assist with secure data storage and data management
• Assist with implementation of music therapy sessions
• Assist with the scheduling, preparation, and documentation of research team meetings
• Contribute to the preparation of the final report and manuscripts and presentation of project results to internal and external parties
• Perform basic statistical analyses including preparing data for analysis
• Assist with qualitative data analysis
• Assist with grant writing
• Search pertinent scientific literature as needed
- PhD or Doctorate, Music Therapy or Creative Arts therapies
- A minimum of 2 years professional experience
• Board-certified music therapist
• A minimum of 2 years of clinical music therapy experience
• Basic skills in statistical analysis and qualitative data analysis
• Experience with recruitment and consenting study participants
• Outstanding personal initiative and communication skills (oral and written English)
• Experience with virtual music therapy delivery preferred
The successful candidate will also demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities related to the following competencies:
Comfortable working with the following computer software: Word, Excel, SPSS, and RedCap
Problem solving and analysis:
Identifies areas of improvement and recommends solutions to improve study implementation quality; makes appropriate decisions related to established research protocols; and demonstrates ability to pay close attention to detail in completing research coordination tasks.
Communication skills: presents information effectively and clearly both in oral and written forms of communication; communicates effectively with research team members and site staff.
Interpersonal skills: Collaborates with diverse people in a respectful manner; works collaboratively with research team members and staff; functions independently and in accordance with established protocols; and always projects a positive attitude.
Team work: Establishes and maintains beneficial working relationships with peers, colleagues and communicates with research team members.
This position is supported fully by external funds; therefore, any offer of employment and the continuation of employment are contingent on receipt of those external funds.
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
Center City – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as exempt with a salary grade of l. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.