Job no: 494680
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Center City
Categories: College of Medicine, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Programmer experienced in analyzing biological data and software development, with an emphasis in microbial ecology and microbiome analysis.
- Software development of algorithms for DNA sequence (with particular emphasis on bacterial comparative genomics and microbiome analysis). This includes multiple sequence alignment, genome assembly, gene annotation, and molecular pathway analysis.
- Microbiome community analysis, including calculating summary statistics in R of microbial communities into reports both in house and to external collaborators, and more advanced statistical procedures, such as PCA, clustering, distance metrics, hypothesis testing, and creation of graphical representations of analyses.
- Group work and collaboration with multiple research colleagues, including training others on their custom-built software usage.
- Database development and organization of massive biological datasets.
- Design and implementation of front end graphical and command line interfaces for easy software usage.
- Software development for report generation of standard analytics to facilitate user autonomy (i.e. make software other people can use)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Genetics, Biology or related
- At least one year of related experience
A background in analyzing biological datasets, with a strong emphasis in genetics, sequence analysis, and microbiome analysis. Candidate must have an intimate knowledge of an object-oriented programming language like Java/Ruby/Python. Must have experience in R, MATLAB or equivalent statistical analysis software package. Experience programming in a *nix (Linux, Unix, BSD etc.) environment, and the ability to use a scripting language such as Perl/Awk/Bash is highly desirable. Familiarity with web application development using a framework such as Ruby on Rails or Django to create web applications/interfaces is preferred. Ability to use SQL, or knowledge of equivalent programming libraries to access SQL style relational databases is required. Excellent English oral and written communications required.
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend