Assistant Professor of Communication
Job no: 496989
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, College of Arts & Sciences
Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Department of Communication invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor in Communication. The starting date for this position is September 1, 2022. Preferred areas of research are celebrity and sports (including e-sports), and digital gaming. This position is a 9-month contract where faculty teach three of four quarters with responsibility in research, teaching, and service. The successful candidate will be reviewed for tenure after 5 years. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, and the position includes a startup package.
The Department of Communication within the College of Arts and Sciences (CoAS) has an Undergraduate program in Communication, a Professional Master’s program in Strategic Digital Communication and a master’s and PhD program in Communication, Culture and Media. The department also offers a fully online B.S. in Communication degree. Students learn through hands-on experiences gained in the classroom and co-operative education. With faculty members who are equally passionate about teaching and about cutting-edge research, the department is a leader in communication education, guiding the design of new curricular approaches to enhance student learning. The curriculum offers focus and flexibility, allowing students to define their path to success.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CoAS) delivers a time-honored liberal arts education paired with Drexel’s renowned focus on applied learning. Research and scholarship in the College explores contemporary issues with an eye toward improving the common good. With a breadth of disciplines in the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities, and a focus on the now, the College is the perfect home for curious scholars who seek to apply their learning in the service of humanity.
- Research – A general expectation of faculty who go on to receive tenure is approximately two publications a year along with conference presentations and grant application
- Teaching – Teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels
- Service – Service to students, department, and academic community
- Other related duties as assigned
- PhD in Communication or related discipline by time of appointment
- 3-5 years of teaching or research experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrated ability for and willingness to provide service to students, department, and academic community.
University City, Philadelphia, PA
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure to upload/include the following documents in a PDF format upon your application submission:
- Cover letter
- Resume/CV with complete professional and academic history.
- Either included in the cover letter or a separate document, a statement on DEI, on teaching philosophy, and research program.
- Names and email addresses of at least three references. Letters of reference/recommendation will be requested from short-listed candidates. Evaluation of applications will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified. Applications received by November 14, 2021 will be given priority consideration.
Please address all queries to Dr. Douglas V. Porpora (firstname.lastname@example.org). Only applications submitted via Drexel Careers will be considered.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend