Mandell Theater Managing Director
Job no: 497286
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, Westphal College of Media Arts & Design
Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Mandell Theater Managing Director is responsible for scheduling and coordinating all activities and maintaining the master calendar for the Mandell Theater Complex, and generating roughly $35,000 of rental income per academic year. Specific responsibilities include contracting, payroll, marketing support, grand writing, and project management. This individual will work well with faculty, mentor students, and deepen the Department's relationships with Philadelphia's professional performing arts community. The Mandell Theater Managing Director will creatively build relationships and pursue grant funding to further develop the Mandell Theater as one of Philadelphia's premiere performance venues and home of a new presenting series.
- Has vision for the future of the Mandell Complex as an integral part of the Philadelphia performing arts community. Works with the Department to create short and long-term goals and to implement the steps to reach them.
- Develops and maintains the master technical and performance schedule for Mandell Theater and related spaces, including the Mandell Theater green room, costume shop, scene shop, Ellen Forman Studio, lobby piano studio, and URBN Annex Black Box.
- Accurately prepares and manages the Mandell Theater budget, including for rental income, equipment, and facility maintenance and staffing expenses.
- Creating, executing, and enforcing appropriate contracts and agreements between Mandell Theater, URBN Annex Black Box, 418 Main, and Ellen Forman Dance Studios and its users.
- Maintains and upgrades Mandell Theater, Lobby, Scene Shop, Costume Shop, Green Room, and Dressing Rooms. Communicates resource needs to Drexel Facilities and coordinates the delivery of those union services.
- Works with the Technical Director to hire, train, supervise, and evaluate student and professional labor, including independent contractor and venue/event supervisors.
- Works with the Performing Arts Department Head on grant writing and strategic planning to successfully implement a plan for Drexel Performing Arts and the Mandell Theater to become an ever important presenter of theater, dance, and music.
- Serves at the point person for front of house and box office for Mandell Theater and is responsible for training all house managers and orienting all box office personnel for the space.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
- The qualified candidate will possess a Masters in Arts Administration/Management or five years related experience which must include a background with operation and maintenance of a performance facility, administering budget, managing staff and experience with labor unions and grant writing. Experience presenting is a plus. They will be a creative thinker, a collaborator, and an able leader.
- The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills.
University City – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified, priority will be given to applicants that apply by January 3, 2022.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend