Laboratory Safety Technician
Job no: 497438
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Finance and Administration, Drexel University, Goodwin College of Professional Studies
Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a comprehensive global research university and a major engine for economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Under the direction of the Director of Environmental Compliance the Laboratory Safety Technician will work with EHRS team members to assist in the management of laboratory safety with an emphasis on chemical hygiene, biological safety and radiation safety. This position is considered to be Essential Personnel and as such must be available and able to respond off hours or as directed by the Director of Environmental Compliance.
- Assist in overall compliance goals of Drexel University through the routine inspection of research and academic laboratories, review of research protocols, training of personnel, periodic sampling, surveying or testing of safety equipment, the development of written compliance programs and associated paperwork and data entry for record keeping; manage required supplies and equipment.
- Distribute radiation monitoring devices to and collect devices from departmental contacts, and ship dosimeters and controls. Add and delete individuals from monitoring service using computerized system. Review reports for high and unusual exposures. Review and investigate exposures at the ALARA I level. Notify designated individual(s) of all high and unusual exposures.
- Responsible for Laboratory Safety Inspections, Chemical Fume Hood Inspections, Eye Wash and Safety Shower Inspections, Training Compliance, Biological Safety Containment Equipment Certifications, and Hazardous Materials management.
- Maintain equipment inventory of radiation producing machines, nuclear medicine cameras and radiation detection equipment. Conduct physical inventory of sealed sources. Leak test sealed sources as required by regulations.
- Monitor chemical and radioactive discharge / drain disposal. Collect and store waste from generators (laboratories and clinical locations), prepare waste for disposal, remove waste disposed by decay-instorage.
- Provide emergency response to hazardous material releases; Implement and manage the University’s Hazardous Material Emergency Response Plan. Provide technical advice on hazardous materials to other University entities as needed.
- Must comply with all applicable federal, state and local regulations as well as University policies.
- Demonstrate safe work practices and avoid unsafe behaviors.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Chemistry, Health Physics or other science field with at least 2 years experience in a laboratory safety, radiation safety or other EHS field.
- 7 years of experience at an academic/medical facility may substitute for the degree requirement. Certification in nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, or radiography technology will be considered in substitution for the degree requirement.
- Knowledge of the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, Occupational Exposures to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories Standard and Bloodborne Pathogens Standard as well as radiation protection regulations (NRC/PADEP).
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to coordinate remotely and plan with other team members during times of illness or vacation.
- Research facility experience; experience in chemical processing / manufacturing or where sources of radiation are used will be considered.
- 40 hr HAZWOPER Certification.
- Knowledge of survey and detection equipment.
- Valid PA and/or NJ drivers license.
University City – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend