Assistant Director, Academic Advising & Student Success
Job no: 499590
Work type: Full-Time
Location: University City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: Drexel University, Close School of Entrepreneurship
The primary role of the Assistant Director, Academic Advising & Student Success is to foster the empowerment of the Close School of Entrepreneurship's undergraduate and graduate students to become skillful problem-solvers, experienced decision-makers, and a vital part of the 21st-century marketplace. This position cooperates with Drexel University's faculty, administration, and external stakeholders in providing academic and developmental advising to Close School students. In addition, this role serves students from across the University who wish to supplement their domain expertise with enrollment in one of of the Close School's certificate programs or three entrepreneurship-related minors.
- Provide pro-active educational guidance and assistance for students by planning schedules, recommending courses, and determining appropriate educational solutions for different types of students.
- Track advancement of students and provide additional support and guidance where necessary.
- Pull monthly/weekly reports on grades. Email Dean's list students every term, emailing to acknowledge their achievements; identify and actively reach out to any "at risk" students.
- Advise students about the development of academic and professional options, including the available resources.
- Complete all transfer credit evaluations for prospective, transfer, and incoming students.
- Continuous update to advising structure for the Close School.
- Assist Associate Dean with course scheduling for all students.
- Work with Associate Dean to Create Freshmen block schedules and register incoming freshmen.
- Maintain current knowledge of all the degree and certificate programs.
- Work with Close School administration in recruitment efforts, such as open house events, and student orientation.
- Perform degree clearing and assist in commencement activities.
- Perform necessary registration duties.
- Ensure University and accreditation standards by enforcing appropriate policy.
- Serve as instructor for UNIV 101 (The Drexel Experience).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work with Associate Dean in developing and revising policy on academic operations, particularly regarding annual course planning, student plan of study, course overrides, and section balancing.
- Work with Associate Dean on cultivation and design for articulation agreements with regional community colleges.
- Participate in various committees, such as: First Year Experience, Advising Steering Committee, Veteran Committee, and Lead Managers meetings.
- Work closely with Enrollment Management and Financial Aid staff to advise new students.
- Refer students to other Drexel support areas to assist students in overcoming any barriers to academic success (e.g., counseling, tutoring, etc.)
- Serve as liaison for students for Student Financial Services (including the Office of the Bursar and the Office of Financial Aid), University Registrar, University Housing, Office of Disability Resources, International Students and Scholars Services, Tutoring, and other University resources.
- Encourage, support, and coordinate student engagement initiatives, including study abroad and student organization activities, such as the Drexel Entrepreneurship Association, Close Club, Close Student Ambassadors, etc.
- Develop and manage Dean’s Student Advisory Council
Develop and manage Student Success plan:
- Create Co-op advisory plans for Close School student to align student learning outcomes in the Close School curriculum with their co-op experiences. This could include but is not limited to:
- Assisting individual students to apply individual their Entrepreneurial Mindset Profile (EMP) to job applications
- Develop Co-op interview/presentation workshops
- Work with Close students to refine skills for their co-op experience: Entrepreneurship Co-op or Practicum process or regular co-op
- Develop student-outcome reporting with metrics on EMP and how it relates to both co-op and entrepreneurship co-op
- Create and develop student feedback on the student co-op success plan
- Manage student personal-development process.
- Create and update current students resource guide, operations calendar, and communication plan.
- Attend all Close School Accepted Students events to present on Close's student success methodology.
- Present to prospective students during pre-college engagement events.
- Assist with data collection for Accreditation and Assessment as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Relevant or Equivalent
- 3-5 years of Experience in Relevant Industry
- Proficiency with advising software and systems
- 7+ years in advising undergraduate and graduate students
- Knowledge of Drexel's academic structure and policies
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- University City- Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Please review the Benefits Brochure for some information on our benefits offerings.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend